Monday, May 5, 2014

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Reactions

I recently finished the book One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey. Many things surprised me towards the end of the book. I didn't expect McMurphy to become a vegetable. He had been given shock treatment every day for a while, so I expected him to make it through the lobotomy fine. Something that surprised me even more was that Chief suffocated McMurphy once he came back to the ward! That seemed a little extreme, even if he did just want to put McMurphy out of his misery.

Something I found confusing was when Chief had just gotten the shock treatment. All of his memories were floating around and getting mixed together, which made it hard to understand. It's also confusing when Chief talks about the fog that he always sees. It gives you perspective on Chief himself, but it makes it hard to understand what is happening in the ward. Something else confusing is when Chief talks about the combine. I sort of get the idea, but not most of it.

This book also made me pretty sad. Once Miss Ratched finds out about the party and finds Billy Bibbit, he kills himself when she isn't there. That was the first depressing part in the end. Then McMurphy is taken away and comes back a vegetable, unable to do anything. The best part about the entire book is when Chef escapes at the end, and can finally do whatever he wants.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment