After reading this weeks assignment, I found some things interesting. One thing I found interesting was how King Alcinous wanted Ulysses' approval so much. Once he found out they were not the best in sports, he found other things they could be the best at and showed Ulysses. When Ulysses said they were the best dancers in the world, Alcinous was overjoyed.
Something I found confusing was why they gave Ulysses so many gifts. They just met him and they throw a banquet in his honor. They also provide him with an escort back to Ithaca. When Ulysses said they had the best dancers, he received so many gifts. The king demanded he be showered in gifts of one compliment. I don't understand why he gave so much to a complete stranger.
Something I found surprising was when Ulysses went on a rant about his athletic ability. He went on and on about his ability to throw, shoot, etc. I thought he was more calm than he was when he was insulted about his skill. That was surprising to me.
My question was: What does "Child of morning, rosy-fingered dawn" mean?
I see it may times throughout the book and I wondered what it meant. I found out that it symbolizes a new beginning to whatever is coming. It can also foreshadow a difficultly coming in the future. Another thing I found out about it was that it helped storytellers keep track of what they were saying. Finally, represents the book as a whole because of the 24 books and the books starting at day and ending at night.
No comments:
Post a Comment