Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Reactions to the first book of The Odyssey

After reading the first book of The Odyssey, I have some things to share.

First of all, I found some things interesting, such as how Minerva had a whole plan of how Telemachus was supposed to find Ulysses. She followed through with that plan and disguised herself to tell it to Telemachus. Another thing I found interesting was why Ulysses hadn't come home yet, and partly it was that the gods hadn't decided for him to come home yet. Neptune was keeping him from returning because of Ulysses blinding his son.

I also found some things confusing, such as why the suitors were still around. Telemachus should have kicked them out earlier so they wouldn't be wasting his animals. Why did he wait so long to find his courage to tell them to leave? Also, why did Minerva need to disguise herself to go talk to Telemachus and tell him the plan? Why didn't she just walk in there normally?

Finally, I found some things surprising, such as when Telemachus was talking to his mother. I didn't think he needed to be so harsh. She only wanted to not be reminded of her lost husband, Ulysses. Telemachus was very stern and also sent her away.

Active reading also helped me comprehend the reading because it forced me to think through what was happening and the meaning behind some words or actions. It also helped me visualize and get a picture in my head of what was going on.

1 comment:

  1. I found the way Telemachus treated his mom was also really harsh. I also wonder why Poseidon wouldn't just let Odysseus go home. Anyways, I think your writing is good! :)

    ReplyDelete