Friday, January 31, 2014

CITR response

My predictions have been different from the book because I thought that Holden would have visited Jane by now. Holden cares for her a lot and I thought he would go find her. He keeps saying he's not in the mood, but I think he's just scared to see her. I also thought Holden would've tried to meet up with people he liked. Everyone he met up with, he didn't like. All of these people he meets up with make him depressed. Especially when it ends up badly.

I haven't personally come across any hypocritical situations like the one in the book. The situation in the book fits into Holden's idea of phonies because she is an example of one. The lady is crying at the most fake movie Holden had ever seen. The faker it got, the more she cried. This just shows that she can't understand something real, and believes in lies. This is how most people are to Holden, except for himself. He can see straight through the lies and everything else.

Holden's psychological state is pretty bad. As the book goes on , he gets more and more depressed. After the encounters with people, Holden always remarks about how he's so depressed. He has just had a string of bad events happen to him that contribute to his mental state. One example of when he says that is: " But I was feeling pretty lousy. Depressed and all." This is just one example of when he says that.

This symbolizes how Holden is beginning to realize he needs to think before acting. He has made so many thoughtless actions and decisions, and he's finally realizing that he needs to fix them. The situation stopped because he realized it wasn't right, and so he fixed it. Hopefully this action will affect the rest of his actions later in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment